Heritage Register

Place Details

Brisbane General Post Office

Summary

The Brisbane GPO was built in 1872 to replace a temporary post office that operated elsewhere in Queen Street. A central tower, southern Telegraph Wing and clock were added in 1879. The complex held Brisbane’s first telephone exchange (1880) and was the telegram central distribution centre. A replacement clock was installed in 1908, when a three-storey building facing Elizabeth Street was added. Minor extensions occurred in 1911, 1943-44, 1957 and 1975. During World War II, its front was used as a saluting dais for military parades. A replacement clock was installed in 1982. In 1983, a postal and telecommunications museum was included within the GPO.

Significance

  • a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history

    for its central role in the development of postal and telecommunications services in Brisbane since 1872.

  • b) It demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of the City's or local area's cultural heritage

    with its impressive Queen Street elevation acting as the lynchpin of the sweeping vista through adjacent Post Office Square and on through Anzac Square ending with Central Railway Station.

  • d) It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places

    as a Queensland colonial and Commonwealth civic building designed and purpose-built as Brisbane’s first General Post Office (GPO).

  • e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance

    for its ability to demonstrate evolving changes in civic architectural style and building technology plus its association with FDG Stanley and Thomas Pye.

  • f) It is important in demonstrating a high degree of creative or technological achievement at a particular period

    for its use of local building materials such as Kangaroo Point porphyry, Breakfast Creek sandstone and Smellie & Co. ironwork, plus its design inclusion of relief columns featuring local primary produce.

  • h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history

    for its association with the Queensland colonial Post Master General’s Department, the Commonwealth’s Post Master General’s (PMG) Department, Australia Post and Telecom.

Place details
At 261 Queen Street , BRISBANE CITY, 4000
Categories: Communication - Postal
Event(s): Constructed between 1872-1910
Period(s): Settlement (1842-1879)
Fabric component(s): Walls - Masonry
People involved: Builder - John Petrie
Images:
(Hold mouse over image to enlarge)
Brisbane General Post Office


(Last updated - 25 May 2012)



Return to search results

Search again?



Print this page. Printer friendly
Contact us Contact us
Heritage Register menu
Search (basic)
Search (advanced)
Help with searching
Legal information
Terms and conditions
Legal disclaimer
Copyright Issues
NOTE: The purpose of this report is to provide a general reference source of information about the main historical and descriptive features that contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage place. It is based on available evidence and may be re-assessed if further information becomes available. It is NOT an official report and does not in any way replace the official Heritage Register entry, which can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner should undertake a thorough conservation study of the heritage place before any action is taken which may affect its significance as a heritage listed place. For further information please phone Council on 3403 8888.

Page created on: Tue Sep 16 19:23:49 GMT+10:00 2014