This timber residence was originally built on Ipswich Road as offices for the Stephens Divisional Board. It was designed circa 1890 by notable architect Alexander Brown Wilson who also served as Chairman of the Board from 1890-91. After the Stephens Shire amalgamated to form the Greater Brisbane Council in 1925, the land was sold and the building moved to the rear of the block, facing Ealing Street. It has since been adapted for use as a private residence and has undergone a number of alterations and additions.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as the former offices of the Stephens Divisional Board which was established in 1886, decades before the formation of the Greater Brisbane Council.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
for its contribution to the streetscape.
h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history
as an example of the work of Alexander Brown Wilson, one of Brisbane’s most notable nineteenth century architects.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403
Page created on: Tue Jul 22 23:24:42 GMT+10:00 2014