Addresses

At 168 Bay Terrace, Wynnum, Queensland 4178

Type of place

Church

Period

Federation 1890-1914

This is an image of the local heritage place known as Wynnum Baptist Church

This is an image of the local heritage place known as Wynnum Baptist Church

Wynnum Baptist Church (former)

Wynnum Baptist Church (former) Download Citation (pdf, 508.29 KB)

Addresses

At 168 Bay Terrace, Wynnum, Queensland 4178

Type of place

Church

Period

Federation 1890-1914

The Wynnum Baptist Church was built in 1912 and was originally located in nearby Edith Street. As the Baptist Mission had only been established in the area two years prior, the initial church and congregation were only very small. However, as the congregation expanded throughout the 1910s and 20s, it became necessary to extend the church and move it to its present location on Bay Terrace. A timber hall and vestry, built in the 1920s, were also moved to the new site. In 1975, a new brick church was built to replace this one.

Lot plan

L197_RP32988; L198_RP32988

Key dates

Local Heritage Place Since —

Date of Citation —

Construction

Roof: Corrugated iron;
Walls: Timber

People/associations

Reverend W. Richer and J. Figgis (Architect)

Criterion for listing

(A) Historical; (D) Representative; (E) Aesthetic; (G) Social; (G) Social; (H) Historical association; (H) Historical association

Interactive mapping

City Plan Interactive Mapping

Lot plan

L197_RP32988; L198_RP32988

Key dates

Local Heritage Place Since —

Date of Citation —

Construction

Roof: Corrugated iron;
Walls: Timber

People/associations

Reverend W. Richer and J. Figgis (Architect)

Criterion for listing

(A) Historical; (D) Representative; (E) Aesthetic; (G) Social; (G) Social; (H) Historical association; (H) Historical association

Interactive mapping

City Plan Interactive Mapping

History

This Baptist Mission was founded on 5 November 1910 and the first services were held in the Shire Clerk's cottage and later in the Old Town Hall. In 1912, two allotments of land were purchased in Edith Street for the construction of a church. By July 1912 plans were completed and the contract was awarded to J.L. Sands. Rev W. Richer and Mr J. Figgis assisted with the plans, and Mr J.L. Oakley constructed the seats. The church was opened on 21 December 1912. The original building was small, with only three windows on each side and was unlined. Later it was lined and extended to five windows on each side, to cope with the increasing congregation.

In 1914 the Constitution of the Wynnum Baptist Church was formed and the church became a regularly constituted Church Fellowship and in February 1914 the first Meeting of the Diaconate was held. In July 1914 Rev R. Lauchlan became the first Pastor of the Church, but went to serve in World War One as a private soldier and never returned. A handsome Pulpit Bible, suitably inscribed, was placed in the Church in his memory.

By 1915 the growing Sunday School, particularly the Kindergarten Department, necessitated the demolition of the small vestry at the rear of the church and the installation of a larger vestry and baptistery. A Sunday School was also established at Lota under the care of Miss Whittle and Miss Eckford. The School was suspended in 1916 and the land subsequently sold. Work in Manly-Lota recommenced in 1953 followed soon after by the purchase of a fibro hall.

The 1920s was a period of rapid growth for the Wynnum church and regular services were also held at the Branch Missions at Lindum and Wynnum West. The decision was made to find a bigger site, preferably a Bay terrace site "so the church could stand as a witness in the busy street of the town". In the interim Mr G. Leggett designed and supervised the construction of a Sunday School hall and Pastor's Vestry which were added at a cost of £500.

In January 1930 two congregation members, Mr and Mrs E.R. Humphreys donated two blocks of land in Bay Terrace to the church on the condition that the Church be relocated there and the land be the permanent home of the Wynnum Baptist Church. The church, including the hall and vestry, was removed from Edith Street in two parts to its present site where the buildings were fitted together and the front modernised. The removal and alterations cost approximately £650. The church provides seating accommodation for 200. The internal fittings are made of Siberian and English oak.

In 1941 a house at the corner of Tingal Road was purchased as a manse to replace the previous rented premises. In 1947, on the death of Mr Humphreys, the Church purchased his house which was then substantially renovated for use as a manse. Adjoining houses were purchased in the 1980s. In 1952 the church acquired a new pipe organ as a memorial to Mr Joe Sands, life Deacon and treasurer of the Church for 42 years, from the foundation of the Mission until his death. In 1975 a new, larger brick church was built, "not a wasteful over-decorated specimen of architecture, but rather a warm but practical and functional worship centre".

Description

This Federation Romanesque style former church is located on a prominent site on the corner of Bay Terrace and Clara Street, Wynnum. The front wall of the building being close to the Bay Terrace property alignment. A small timber framed hall is located behind the church.

The symmetrical fronted single storey structure consists of two rectangular buildings joined together at right angles. Extensions to this structure include the addition of north and south side entry porches at the western end, and enclosed verandah on the southern side and a small extension onto the north east corner.

The timber chamferboard clad timber framed building is supported on concrete piers and on a more recently constructed brick base under the northern wall of the front section. The western end of the building is supported on a rendered brick plinth which extends around to include the side porches. Timber framed and chamferboard clad stepped buttresses add decoration to the elevation. Timber battening between piers provide enclosure to the underneath area of the building.

The steeply pitched main roof and the flatter pitched skillion roofs to the extensions are sheeted with metal decking (similar to Trimdek profile) and are replacements of an earlier roofing material. The eaves overhangs are generally unlined except for the infilled projecting gable at the western end. This projecting gable infill with a semi-circular cut out is supported on cantilevered beams. The gable is sheeted with fibro cement panels and the vertical joints concealed by wide timber cover strips. The horizontal soffit is sheeted with fibro cement and the semi-circular section is lined with tongue and groove boarding.

The facing to the projecting gable on the northern side consists of vertical timber battens spread apart and supported on a timber rail.

Various types and styles of windows have been installed in the building.

Windows to the western wall consist of two pairs of timber framed casements glazed with amber coloured glass and a fixed semi-circular fanlight glazed with lead lighting over. Timber, semi-circular label moulds adorn these windows. The tall window with semi-circular head positioned in the centre of the building is glazed with lead lighting.

Small lancet type fixed windows with semi-circular heads and glazed with amber coloured glass provide lighting to the entrance porches. These windows are also capped with semi-circular label moulds.

The windows in the northern and eastern walls consist of a timber framed pivoted window and a fixed fanlight with scalloped timber head framing above. These windows are generally glazed with opaque glass with several of the fanlights glazed with blue coloured glass. Horizontal timber label moulds adorn these windows.

The pointed arch triangular shaped clerestory windows to the north and south gable ends contain timber tracery sash bars dividing the windows into three panes.

Windows to the southern side wall consist of three sets of timber framed two-pane casements glazed with opaque glass and two sets of sliding glass windows in aluminium frames.

Southern side clerestory lighting to the main building is provided by four sets of four bank adjustable glass louvres.

The small entry porches on the north and south sides are accessed by pointed arch framed tongue and groove vertical joint doors. These doors are flanked by pairs of Tuscan Order timber columns supporting a boxed-in timber beam.

Access to the entry porches is by small flights of painted concrete steps which wrap around the porch.

Access to the new section of the hall is by a short flight of timber steps leading to a pointed arch, single leaf, framed tongue and groove vertical joint door located on the north-west side. Rear access to the building is provided by a flight of timber steps and timber landing connected to the north-east corner extension.

No provision is made for access by the disabled.

In addition to the pointed arch window, the southern side gable also contains an access doorway and a timber framed platform supported on R.H.S. (steel) triangular brackets.

The building has been reasonably well maintained although both entry porch doors are in poor condition and a large structural crack has developed in the southern porch entry stairs.

Statement of significance

Relevant assessment criteria

This is a place of local heritage significance and meets one or more of the local heritage criteria under the Heritage planning scheme policy of the Brisbane City Plan 2014. It is significant because:








References

  1. Wynnum Baptist Church 50th Anniversary: The Year of Jubilee 1914-1964

  2. Wynnum Baptist Church 75th Anniversary 1914-1989

  3. Back to Wynnum, 21-29 January 1933


Citation prepared by — Brisbane City Council (page revised September 2020)

Federation 1890-1914
Church
At 168 Bay Terrace, Wynnum, Queensland 4178
At 168 Bay Terrace, Wynnum, Queensland 4178 L197_RP32988; L198_RP32988
Historical, Representative, Aesthetic, Social, Social, Historical association, Historical association