This timber building was constructed around 1901 as a private residence for John Stewart, a prominent member of Brisbane society and the son of successful clothing merchant Alexander Stewart. The Stewart family built the nearby house of ‘Glen Lyon’ set on 250 acres in 1876.
Purchased by the Sisters of Charity in 1925, the building was converted into St Finbarr’s Primary School which opened that year with 28 pupils. Due to Ashgrove’s interwar residential building boom, this number had increased to 175 within two years and the decision was made to introduce secondary students. In 1941 the school was renamed Mt St Michael’s College and this building has since remained an important part of the school precinct through its use as a convent.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as it provides evidence of the development of the rural residential nature of Ashgrove around the turn of the century.
g) It has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
for the important role its has played in the lives of generations of students who have attended school there since the 1920s.
h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history
for its association with the Stewart family who owned a large estate in Ashgrove from the mid-nineteenth century.
St Finbarr's Convent/School Grantully
Mt St Michael's College
At 67 Elimatta Drive , ASHGROVE, 4060
Accommodation - House
Education - Private School
Ritual - Religious Order
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403