The Fire of Hope Baptist Church was originally opened in June 1883 as the Albion Baptist Church and was one of the first permanent churches in the area. With the construction of the Albion railway station in 1882 and new residential estates opening up, there was an increased need for a permanent place of worship for the growing local faith community. Over the years, the church continued to be expanded and altered to meet the changing needs and size of the parish, and also began a number of outreach programs to assist members of the local community in need. In 1915 a timber manse was built on an adjacent block and in 1929 a timber hall was built at the rear of the church.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
for the evidence it provides about the development of Albion and the pattern of Baptist worship in the area.
b) It demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of the City's or local area's cultural heritage
as one of the first permanent churches in the area and as the oldest surviving church in Albion.
g) It has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
for its role in the lives of successive generations who have worshipped here since 1883 and for its contribution to the wider community through its outreach programs.
Albion Baptist Church
At 16 McLennan Street , ALBION, 4010
Ritual - Worship
Ritual - Housing
Constructed in 1883
Constructed in 1915
Constructed in 1929
World War I (1914-1918)
Victorian - Academic Gothic
Architect - Banks and Carandini (Church hall)
Builder - S.S. Carrick (Church hall)
Architect - John Richard Hall (Church)
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403