This late nineteenth century residence was built on land that was part of the Albion Station Estate. The house was constructed sometime between 1897 and 1901 for cab proprietor August Ferdinand Hainow and his wife Susannah Hainow. Originally named 'Emerald', by 1935 the name had been changed to the present 'Fakenham'. By the standards of the time it was a sizeable middle class dwelling, befitting the residence of a successful local businessman. It demonstrates the continued development of Albion as a prosperous centre in the years following the establishment of the railway connection with Brisbane City in 1882 and its duplication in 1885.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as middle class residence built in the late nineteenth century when the 1882 opening of the railway spurred a wave of development.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403