The Bethany Gospel Hall was constructed circa 1905 on land donated by the owner James Haynes. Haynes had acquired the vacant site in 1889. Originally named ‘Bethany Hall’, it has been in continuous use as a community-meeting place for more than 100 years.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as a local Gospel Hall constructed around 1905.
d) It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
as a modest early twentieth century timber place of worship.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
as an intact 1905 timber church building.
g) It has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
as a Gospel Hall associated with the local community since its construction in 1905.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403