Burke’s Hotel was built in 1890 for Thomas Burke who contracted prominent Brisbane architects John Hall & Son for its design. The hotel’s siting on Annerley Road (then called Boggo Road) provided an advantage due to the large number of bullock drivers who were travelling through on the teamster trail from the Darling Downs. Burke remained the owner and proprietor of the hotel until 1899 before selling it on. It has since had a number of owners but in the 1980s was named ‘Burke’s Hotel’ in his honour. The hotel retains a lot of its original architecture and is substantially intact for a nineteenth century hotel.
h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history
as a building designed by prominent Brisbane architects John Hall & Son.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
for its fine contribution to the Annerley Road streetscape; and, as a substantially intact nineteenth century hotel that retains a lot of its original architecture.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as a surviving example of one of the many hotels for which Brisbane was renowned in the late nineteenth century.
The Red Brick
At 83 Annerley Road , WOOLLOONGABBA, 4102
Accommodation - Hotel
Constructed in 1890
Walls - Masonry - Painted brick
Roof - Corrugated iron
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403