This single storey Interwar Art Deco block of shops was constructed circa 1936 for Percival Henry Bishop. The shops are an integral part of the Albion shopping precinct which retains examples of the principal phase of commercial development during the 1880s and early 1890s, and the revitalisation that took place during the 1920s and 1930s. Numerous shops have occupied the building since the 1930s including a hairdresser, grocery store, dressmaker, fish shop and pharmacy.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as an interwar block of shops that provide an example of the revitalisation of the Albion shopping precinct that took place during the 1920s and 1930s.
d) It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
as a substantially intact example of the kind of shops that were constructed during the interwar period to form part of Albion’s commercial streetscape.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403