This warehouse, designed by the architectural firm of Addison & Macdonald, was erected in 1931 for Adelaide-based F. H. Faulding & Co. Founded in 1845, Faulding & Co. was a major manufacturer of medicinal products. After establishing offices in London, Sydney and Perth, the company purchased the Charlotte Street site in 1924 with plans to erect a distribution warehouse and headquarters for its Queensland operations. The company owned the warehouse until 1957 when the building was sold to Edwards, Dunlop and Co.
b) It demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of the City's or local area's cultural heritage
as a rare, surviving example of a small-scale interwar CBD warehouse.
St Paul’s Book Centre
At 168 Charlotte Street , BRISBANE CITY, 4000
Industry - Warehousing
Constructed in 1931
Interwar - Free Classical
Walls - Masonry - Face brick - Combination
Architect - G.H.M. Addison and Son and H.S. Macdonald
Builder - D. F. Roberts
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403