Pioneer House was constructed in 1924, at the beginning of the 1920s CBD building boom, for Hoey, Fry Ltd, a major Brisbane-based engineering supply company. Like its neighbour, Invicta House, Pioneer House was designed by the significant architectural firm of Atkinson & Conrad, and built by Walter Taylor. Hoey, Fry occupied the ground floor of the building until at least the 1950s, while the upper floors have been leased to a variety of different businesses since the 1920s.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as a multi-storey commercial and retail building constructed during the CBD building boom of the 1920s.
h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history
as a building designed by one of Brisbane’s most significant architectural firms, Atkinson and Conrad, and constructed by prominent builder, Walter Taylor.
At 166 Edward Street , BRISBANE CITY, 4000
Industry - Commerce
Retailing - Other
Constructed in 1924
Interwar - Stripped Classical
Walls - Masonry - Face brick
Architect - Atkinson and Conrad
Builder - Walter Taylor
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403