The Embassy Hotel was built in 1928 during Brisbane’s interwar building boom. It is one of eight remaining pre-World War II corner hotels in Brisbane’s Central Business District (CBD), and the only one erected during the interwar period. Designed in the Interwar Commercial Palazzo style, the building is an unusual example of architect Jack Donoghue’s work and, along with Invicta House and Pioneer House, provides the south side intersection of Edward and Elizabeth Street with a distinct interwar presence.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as a four-storey corner hotel erected during the CBD building boom of the 1920s.
At 178 Edward Street , BRISBANE CITY, 4000
Accommodation - Hotel
Constructed in 1928
Interwar - Commercial Palazzo
Walls - Masonry - Face brick
Architect - John Patrick (Jack) Donoghue
Builder - A. J. Dickinson
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403