The construction of the Brisbane Fruit and Produce Exchange in 1906 marked the extension of the 1884 Roma Street Markets into Turbot Street. The building was operated by tenants/traders who formed a company to run the Exchange as a privately owned component of the Municipal Markets. Allied businesses erected buildings nearby, thus forming a market precinct bounded by Ann, George, Roma, Little Roma and Turbot Streets. After the Municipal Markets moved to Rocklea in 1964, most of the precinct was demolished. Only the former Brisbane Fruit and Produce Exchange building survives as a reminder of the Central Business District’s (CBD) important produce markets.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as evidence of the expansion of the Brisbane Municipal Markets which operated in the Roma Street area from 1884 to 1964.
b) It demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of the City's or local area's cultural heritage
as the only remaining building left from the CBD Markets precinct.
d) It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
as a purpose-built, early twentieth century market featuring large, open, internal spaces and a Free-Classical inspired façade.
At 71-97 Turbot Street , BRISBANE CITY, 4000
Retailing - Market
Constructed in 1906
Federation - Free Classical
Walls - Masonry - Render
Architect - Henry Wallace Atkinson
Builder - J. and E. L. Rees
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403