This two-storey brick building was constructed circa 1911 for Ivor Eliot Peyton and used as a light engineering factory and warehouse by Brisbane company John Reid and Nephews from 1911 until 1969. The company specialised in wire, rope and hardware. In 1987 the building was purchased by The Australian Telecommunications Commission who demolished all but the façade in order to accommodate construction of the Telstra tower at the rear of the building.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as evidence of the development of Charlotte Street as a warehouse and light industry precinct of Brisbane in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
as part of a group of buildings in Charlotte Street of a related, commercial architectural style that form an architecturally significant streetscape.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403