Built circa 1910, this fine brick building survives as a tangible reminder of the very successful hardware retailer J.R. Wyllie & Sons which was first established in Brisbane circa 1900. It was at this time that Albion was developing into a thriving commercial precinct and had emerged as a prosperous suburban centre, an optimal location for new businesses. Throughout the twentieth century, J.R. Wyllie and Sons expanded their business throughout Queensland an even up to the Northern Territory and Papua New Guinea. Wyllie, apart from being a successful businessman, also served as an alderman on the Windsor Shire Council from 1913-1924. The business continued to operate from the building until it was sold in 1981.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as an integral part of the Albion shopping centre which retains examples of the principal phases of commercial development from the late nineteenth century and the 1930s.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
for its attractive design, use of contrasting materials and visually prominent lettering which make an important contribution to this historic streetscape in Albion.
h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history
as the Brisbane business premises of successful hardware retailer and local councillor, J.R. Wyllie & Sons.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403