‘Ross Roy’ was constructed in 1897 to a design by Claude W. Chambers, as a residence for tea merchant Daniel Collings and family. Passed to the Munros around 1910, it was given its current name and used as the family residence as well as the setting for several charitable functions. The house, with six acres of land, was sold to the United Evangelical Lutheran Church in 1945 and repurposed as a secondary Lutheran school. The Langer chapel, designed by important and influential architect Karl Langer, was built for the school in 1967-8. Both buildings have continued to be used by the St Peter’s Lutheran College, which has grown to become the largest co-educational Lutheran school in Australia.
b) It demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of the City's or local area's cultural heritage
as ‘Ross Roy’ is a grand architect-designed mansion of the nineteenth century.
d) It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
as a post-WWII chapel in Queensland, designed in the Modernist style but with distinctive and unique design elements (the Langer Chapel).
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
as ‘Ross Roy’ is a finely detailed example of a substantial late Victorian villa residence and the Langer Chapel combines Lutheran symbolism with its mid-century Modernist styling.
f) It is important in demonstrating a high degree of creative or technological achievement at a particular period
as the Chapel integrates strong ecclesiastical symbolism into the Modernist architectural idiom in a manner that Langer himself acknowledged as the pinnacle of his architectural work. The Chapel is considered to demonstrate a high degree of creative achievement amongst ecclesiastical buildings of that era.
g) It has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
as the initial residence and the central place of worship of St Peter’s Lutheran boarding school established in 1945.
h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history
as ‘Ross Roy’ is a fine residence designed by prominent late nineteenth and early twentieth century architect Claude William Chambers. The Langer Chapel has a special association with influential Modernist architect Dr Karl Langer
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as ‘Ross Roy’ is the centerpiece of a grand country estate established by a successful merchant in the late nineteenth century when fine houses surrounded by extensive grounds were prevalent in Indooroopilly.
The Langer Chapel is important as part of the growth of St Peter’s Lutheran College, now the largest coeducational Lutheran school in Australia, and as a sign of the continuing influence of the Lutheran church in Brisbane.
At 60 Harts Road , INDOOROOPILLY, 4068
Accommodation - House
Accommodation - Mansion
Ritual - Worship
Constructed in 1897 - residence
Constructed in 1967-1968 - Langer chapel
Architect - Claude William Chambers - residence
Architect - Karl Langer - chapel
Association - United Evangelical Lutheran Church
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403