The first Commonwealth Bank in Albion opened in rented premises in 1921. The bank had acquired land in Sandgate Road and erected this building circa 1928-29. Designed in the Interwar Mediterranean style, the bank was extended during the 1970s. The Sandgate Rd Commonwealth Bank closed in 1999 but remains in use as commercial premises.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as a purpose-built structure for the introduction of Commonwealth banking services into the community.
h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history
as the site of a Commonwealth Bank of Australia for approximately sixty years.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403