Desmond Chambers was constructed in 1912-13 for the Desmond Trust, to a design by eminent architectural firm Atkinson and McLay. This substantial brick ‘warehouse’ of five storeys and basement was built during a boom period in Brisbane’s building industry in the early twentieth century. The building was leased to a variety of tenants, from small business owners to large government departments, and served as the Brisbane recruiting office in World War 2.
At 309 Adelaide Street , BRISBANE CITY, 4000
Industry - Warehousing
Constructed between 1912-1913
Walls - Masonry - Face brick
Architect - Atkinson and McLay
Builder - Henry Roberts
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403