Constructed circa 1887, this former public hall was designed by Brisbane architect Victor Emmanuel Carandini at a time when Albion was fast becoming a prosperous suburban centre. Throughout the 1890s, the hall served as a venue for dances and meetings but by 1918 was functioning predominantly as a picture hall, with a number of small retail shops surrounding it. After 1966, when the picture hall is believed to have closed, the building was converted and is now in use as an office block and shops.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as a former public hall that provides evidence of the changing trends in public entertainment throughout the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
b) It demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of the City's or local area's cultural heritage
as a former early twentieth century picture theatre that operated for around fifty years from the mid 1910s until the 1960s.
h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history
as a late nineteenth century building designed by Brisbane architect Victor Emmanuel Carandini.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403