This masonry structure was erected in 1925-26 as a Post Office containing a mail room, office and letter carriers room. It was built by J Doyle to a standard plan developed by the Commonwealth for suburban Post Offices. This building replaced an earlier 1890s structure, and was a continuation of a postal service in Albion since 1876. The building was disposed of by the Commonwealth in 1995 and has subsequently been acquired as an office for an architectural firm.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as the final of a sequence of post offices servicing Albion.
g) It has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
association with the local Albion community for the postal and telegraph services provided.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403