Possibly built in 1863 to a design by James Cowlishaw, this two-storey, inner-city building survives as a remnant example of the commercial character of Brisbane’s Central Business District in the nineteenth century. Constructed for lawyer and agent general Sir James Francis Garrick, the building was leased to Henry Box and Son, coachbuilders, around 1863. The building continued to be associated with ironmongery, saddlery and general merchandise until the 1980s when it was used as a radio station. Together with a number of other substantially intact nineteenth century commercial buildings in Brisbane’s CBD, this building forms part of a remnant character precinct, reflecting the heritage of the local area.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as an 1860s building that reflects the early commercial character of Brisbane’s CBD.
b) It demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of the City's or local area's cultural heritage
as one of few 1860s buildings that still survive in Brisbane.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
as a fine example of a Victorian Italianate design on a commercial building; and, for its contribution to the Edward Street streetscape.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403