This small row of shops was built in early 1933 for joiner and business man Frederick Marsden as a storefront for the joinery works depot he established on the site in 1913. In the 1920s and 1930s Albion experienced period of significant growth and construction of commercial establishments increased as a result. Marsden's shops, designed by architect Edward Thomas Ryan, remain as a good example of interwar shop design and are indicative of the growth of Albion as a commercial centre during the interwar years.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as a row of interwar shops constructed during Albion's expansion as a commercial centre that commenced in the 1920s and continued in the 1930s.
d) It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
as it is a relatively intact, architect designed, row of interwar shops.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403