Remnants of the 2nd Breakfast Creek Bridge (North)
The construction of the second Breakfast Creek Bridge represented an important achievement for the local government authorities of the time; the Booroodabin Divisional Board and the Shire of Windsor. The bridge, constructed circa 1889, was an essential item of infrastructure for the district, providing not only road access, but also essential services such as phone and power lines later on. All that remains of the second Breakfast Creek Bridge now are remnants on the northern and southern creek banks.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as evidence of the development of the area during the latter half of the nineteenth century and the provision of better road access to and from the City.
b) It demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of the City's or local area's cultural heritage
as an example of nineteenth century municipal engineering.
h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history
as a remnant of the municipal work of Booroodabin Divisional Board and Windsor Shire prior to the amalgamation of the City of Brisbane in 1925.
At Sandgate Road (North) (Also Kingsford Smith Drive), ALBION, 4010
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403