This reinforced concrete bridge was constructed circa 1928 to meet the increased traffic needs on Brisbane’s north side which was experiencing significant growth and expansion. Motor vehicles were also becoming increasingly popular during this time and road traffic was increasing rapidly. The project, overseen by the City of Brisbane Works Committee, involved a number of eminent people of the era including architect Walter Taylor, City Engineer E.F. Gilchrist, and Designing Engineer C.B. Mott. In the 1980s, a major refurbishment of the bridge was undertaken and necessary repairs and upgrades were completed.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as a bridge designed to accommodate increased road traffic due to suburban expansion during the interwar period; and, as an example of an interwar suburban bridge designed and constructed utilising local skills, materials, and professional expertise.
h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history
as a bridge constructed by prominent Brisbane contractor and engineer Walter Taylor, and Brisbane City Council engineers C.B. Mott and E.F. Gilchrist.
At Abbotsford Road , ALBION, 4010
Streetscape - Bridge
Constructed circa 1928
Structure - Masonry - Concrete
Architect - Walter Taylor
Engineer - E.F. Gilchrist and C.B. Mott
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403