Heritage Register

Place Details

'Langlands' & chapel (former), Villa Nova College

Summary

This fine residence was built in 1886 for merchant Reuben Nicklin, whose subdivisions created the ‘Langlands Estate’ around his house in 1887. As part of the Estate auction, Thomas Connah and William Brookes bought a large block that included Nicklin’s house. Nicklin, his wife and daughter died tragically in the Quetta sinking of 1890. Connah resided in Nicklin’s former residence, which he named ‘Langlands’ circa 1900. Connah became Queensland Auditor-general and he sold ‘Langlands’ to Brisbane Archbishop James Duhig in 1916. ‘Langlands’ became the Good Samaritan Convent of Saint Scholastica until 1953, when the Saint Augustine Order transferred Villanova College from Whinstanes to the Coorparoo property.

Significance

  • a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history

    being the basis of the 1887 ‘Langlands Estate’, that provided the street and subdivision layout of this part of Coorparoo.

  • c) It has potential to yield information that will contribute to the knowledge and understanding of the City's or local area's history

    as Villanova College encompasses not only ‘Langlands’ but also the home’s former grounds and outbuildings.

  • g) It has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons

    as centre of Catholic Church education in Coorparoo, first, from1916-53, as the Good Samaritan Sisters’ convent and chapel; and from 1954 as the Augustine teaching order’s Villanova College.

Place details
Good Samaritan Convent of Saint Scholastica
At 34 Sixth Avenue , COORPAROO, 4151
Categories: Accommodation - House
Education - College
Event(s): Constructed in 1884 - 'Langlands' House
Period(s): Boom (1880-1892)
Style(s): Victorian - Vernacular
Fabric component(s): Walls - Masonry
Roof - Corrugated iron
Images:
(Hold mouse over image to enlarge)
Villa Nova College


(Last updated - 14 Mar 2016)



Return to search results

Search again?



Print this page. Printer friendly
Contact us Contact us
Heritage Register menu
Search (basic)
Search (advanced)
Help with searching
Legal information
Terms and conditions
Legal disclaimer
Copyright Issues
NOTE: The purpose of this report is to provide a general reference source of information about the main historical and descriptive features that contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage place. It is based on available evidence and may be re-assessed if further information becomes available. It is NOT an official report and does not in any way replace the official Heritage Register entry, which can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner should undertake a thorough conservation study of the heritage place before any action is taken which may affect its significance as a heritage listed place. For further information please phone Council on 3403 8888.

Page created on: Fri Dec 14 17:39:43 AEST 2018