This timber and tin Carpenter Gothic church was opened in 1888 as the demand for new community services increased. Designed by architects Taylor and Richer, the building has unique exterior and interior decorative features. The church served the community as a Methodist church until 1973 and has since been in use as an Apostolic church.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as a religious building constructed to serve the spiritual needs of the Annerley community.
b) It demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of the City's or local area's cultural heritage
as one of few remaining examples of a small intact 1880s church in the region.
d) It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
as a purpose-built timber frame church constructed in 1888, whose design reflects its use as a centre for worship, religious education and social activity.
g) It has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
as it has played an important part in the lives of successive generations who have attended services, religious instruction and/or community activity on this site.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
for its simplicity, elegant form and detailing.
At 151 Cornwall Street (cnr Duke St.), ANNERLEY, 4103
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403