The Annerley Uniting Church, designed by Brisbane architects Atkinson and Conrad, was opened on 28 June 1925 as the Cracknell Road Congregational Church. The Congregational Church has a long association with the Annerley community that dates back to the 1890s when Sunday school classes were first held in the homes of the Grimes and Wilson families. This local landmark is an intact example of a small, Interwar Gothic style timber church.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as evidence of the long history of Congregational worship and education in Annerley and the development of the area during the interwar period.
d) It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
as an intact example of a small, Interwar Carpenter Gothic church.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
as an architect-designed Interwar Carpenter Gothic church situated prominently on Cracknell Road.
g) It has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
having provided a place of worship for Annerley’s Congregational community, and subsequent Uniting church community, since 1925.
h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history
as a church designed by notable architects Atkinson and Conrad.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403