This timber hall was built in 1927 as a lodge hall for the Manchester Unity Independent Order of Oddfellows which established itself in Albion in 1866. Prior to the construction of this hall, the Prince Albert Victor Lodge chapter held fortnightly meetings in the Albion Public Hall, however it was eventually considered unsuitable and in the 1920s, funds were raised to construct a dedicated lodge hall. The order operated as a philanthropic society to which members made regular donations with the understanding that their medical and/or funeral expenses would be taken care of in the event of illness or death. The lodge met regularly in the hall until it was sold in 1983.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as an interwar lodge hall built for the Manchester Unity Independent Order of Oddfellows who began providing essential health benefits for members and their families at a time when the government did not.
d) It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
as a good example of a small, purpose-built interwar meeting hall.
g) It has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
as the lodge hall for the Prince Albert Victor Lodge chapter of the Manchester Unity Independent Order of Oddfellows for more than fifty years.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403