This Catholic Church was opened in 1932 by Archbishop Duhig and was the first of many church properties that he was instrumental in developing around Brisbane. As a large, polychromatic brick Interwar Gothic style church at the intersection of several suburbs, it is significant for its intact architecture and landmark status. The building of this church during the Great Depression demonstrates the determination of the Catholic community of Annerley to raise funds to build a local church and school and their contribution to providing employment for nearly 30 men. The church and adjacent primary school were designed by J. P. Donoghue.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as it provides evidence of development and expansion of the local area and the determination of the Catholic community to have a church in their district in 1914.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
as a notable city landmark due to its prominent position near Chardon’s Corner on Ipswich Road and its imposing Interwar Gothic architecture.
d) It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
as an intact example of a large Interwar Gothic style church built in the 1930s.
g) It has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
for the evidence it provides of the Catholic community’s continuing growth and commitment in raising the funds for this church during an era of economic depression, and as part of a large Catholic precinct which attests to the importance attached to religious observance and religious education by the Catholic community in the early twentieth century.
h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history
for its association with Father James Gallagher, parish priest from 1916 until his death in 1924 and to whom this church is dedicated and as a church designed by Brisbane architect J.P. Donoghue.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403