This two-storey brick building was constructed circa 1864 for local chemist and surgical dentist Moses Ward who arrived in Brisbane from England in 1862. It functioned as a chemist and dispensary until 1888, and has since been leased by numerous small businesses. It survives as one of the oldest, intact commercial buildings in Fortitude Valley.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
for the evidence it provides about the residential and commercial development of Fortitude Valley in the 1860s; and, as it reflects Fortitude Valley’s early pattern of subdivision into small, narrow fronted lots and service lanes.
b) It demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of the City's or local area's cultural heritage
as one of the oldest, intact commercial buildings in Fortitude Valley.
d) It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
as one of Brisbane’s earliest examples of a building with professional rooms below and private residence above.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
for its contribution to the streetscape, particularly in conjunction with 694 Ann Street.
At 690 Ann Street , FORTITUDE VALLEY, 4006
People - Health
Constructed circa 1864
Walls - Masonry - Face brick
Roof - Corrugated iron
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403