These shops and attached dwellings were built during Annerley’s interwar boom period, as the suburb changed from a lightly-developed semi-rural district into a well-populated inner-city area. From the 1860s, the site had been part of an acreage belonging to a jam preserver, left unsubdivided until 1916. The frontage facing Ipswich Road held a shop and dwelling prior to this building's construction in 1930 by Hans Ebeling, a builder and property investor. Ebeling leased the shop and lived in the dwelling upstairs for some years, before selling the property in 1949. In the 1950s the house was converted into flats.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403