This brick cottage, constructed circa 1890, is a colonial-era ‘worker’s cottage’ built on a relatively small sixteen perch block. It was built during Annerley’s first boom period in the 1880s and 1890s, with improved transportation and infrastructure in the area encouraging its growth as a residential suburb. Originally purchased by John Herbert Brooks in 1891, it was sold within a year to his brother Frank, a well-known Annerley bricklayer, who played a large role in the rebuilding efforts following the 1893 floods. The house has since passed through a number of owners.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403