Heritage Register

Place Details

St John's Presbyterian Church

Summary

Presbyterians have gathered in buildings on this site since 1885. They built their first church in 1886 at a cost of 150 and their second church in 1929 at a cost of 3,500. Brisbane architect, George Trotter, who was also a member of the congregation, designed the second church. Both buildings are still used by the Annerley Presbyterian Church today and provide excellent examples of Victorian and Federation Carpenter Gothic timber-framed ecclesiastical buildings.

Significance

  • a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history

    as a place that provides evidence about the development of the area from the late nineteenth century, particularly its connection with the development of Thompson Estate.

  • d) It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places

    as the 1880s church is a surviving example of a small, timber-framed 1880s church built in the Victorian Carpenter Gothic style and the 1920s church is an example of a medium sized timber-framed church built in the 1920s in the Federation Carpenter Gothic style.

  • g) It has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons

    as the precinct provides evidence of the development of the local Presbyterian community from 1886, when the first church was opened, and the continued commitment of parishioners in the years leading up to 1929 when the second church was built; and as a site of Presbyterian worship for more than 120 years.

  • h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history

    as the 1920s church is an example of the work of notable architect George Trotter.

Place details
At 23 King Street , ANNERLEY, 4103
Categories: Ritual - Worship
Event(s): Constructed in 1886 - First Church
Constructed in 1929 - Second Church
Period(s): Boom (1880-1892)
Interwar (1919-1939)
Style(s): Victorian - Carpenter Gothic
Federation - Carpenter Gothic
People involved: Architect - George Trotter - Second Church
Images:
(Hold mouse over image to enlarge)
St John's Presbyterian Church


(Last updated - 14 Mar 2016)



Return to search results

Search again?



Print this page. Printer friendly
Contact us Contact us
Heritage Register menu
Search (basic)
Search (advanced)
Help with searching
Legal information
Terms and conditions
Legal disclaimer
Copyright Issues
NOTE: The purpose of this report is to provide a general reference source of information about the main historical and descriptive features that contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage place. It is based on available evidence and may be re-assessed if further information becomes available. It is NOT an official report and does not in any way replace the official Heritage Register entry, which can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner should undertake a thorough conservation study of the heritage place before any action is taken which may affect its significance as a heritage listed place. For further information please phone Council on 3403 8888.

Page created on: Fri Nov 16 03:39:16 AEST 2018