‘Cambrae’ was built between 1948 and 1952 by and for Angus Pretoria Cameron, a Commission Agent. The two-storey masonry house was constructed at a time of severe building material shortages due to the over-whelming demand for housing in the immediate post-war period throughout Australia. The housing shortage in Queensland reached its peak in 1947 with over 4218 families living in temporary accommodation. Building materials were scarce and post-war building regulations were introduced limiting the size of a house to approximately 120m˛. The construction of ‘Cambrae’ was a move away from the dominant housing form in this period. The two-storey masonry house with its basket weave brickwork, oriel window and Romanesque features such as the front door surround is an unusual and uncommon example of an immediate post-war period ‘Old English’ style house in the Annerley district.
b) It demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of the City's or local area's cultural heritage
as an uncommon example of a two-storey masonry house built in the immediate post-war era that incorporates many ‘Old English’ design features.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
as a two-storey masonry house on a prominent site in Annerley that incorporates many ‘Old English’ design features.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403