‘Coombie’, a stucco duplex constructed around 1936 for owner William Barwise, is an early variation from the detached housing of the local area. Despite its inner-city location, Annerley was relatively lightly populated until the pressures on housing in the interwar period encouraged greater development. This site had previously been part of a larger block on which a substantial family residence was erected. It was subdivided into smaller, more densely populated allotments in the 1930s and the duplex was occupied by multiple tenants from around 1937.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403