The larger hall was built in 1891 in Ellis Street in the Knowsley Estate for the Stones Corner Lodge of the Society of Oddfellows. It was called Knowsley Hall, then Foresters Hall, before being bought by the Salvation Army Corps in 1925. The Corps relocated a smaller hall from Edith Street, Stones Corner a short distance across Old Cleveland Road to Montague Street that same year. It was put behind the existing hall. In early 1926, the site was officially opened as the Coorparoo Salvation Army Hall. The large building was named the Senior Hall. The smaller building was the Junior Hall. It remained a Salvation Army site until 1998.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as the larger hall was built in 1891 for Knowsley Estate’s Oddfellows Lodge, while the smaller hall was relocated from nearby Edith Street in 1925.
b) It demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of the City's or local area's cultural heritage
as a single site encompassing two early halls utilized by a variety of local community groups, particularly the Salvation Army.
c) It has potential to yield information that will contribute to the knowledge and understanding of the City's or local area's history
having been a local community facility since 1891.
g) It has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
being the area’s Salvation Army centre for 78 years.
At 3 Ellis Street , STONES CORNER, 4120
Culture - Public Venue
Constructed in 1891 - the larger hall
Moved to site circa 1925-1926 - the smaller hall
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403