Heritage Register

Place Details

Archerfield Airport - Administration Building, Aerodrome Terminal Building, Hangars & Interwar Buildings

Summary

Archerfield Aerodrome was Brisbane’s commercial airport from 1931 until 1949. It is linked to a number of historic flights by aviation pioneers such as Charles Kingsford Smith and Lores Bonney. During World War II, it became a major airbase for the US Army’s 5th Air Force and Archerfield also operated and repaired aircraft from the RAAF, the Royal Navy and units of the Netherlands East Indies forces. Significant buildings on the site include the Interwar Functionalist style terminal building (1941), several interwar hangars and other interwar buildings and two hangars constructed during World War II.

Significance

  • a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history

    as a precinct which provides evidence of important developments and events in aviation history which took place in Brisbane.

  • c) It has potential to yield information that will contribute to the knowledge and understanding of the City's or local area's history

    as a possible archaeological site yielding evidence of the aerodrome’s role in the Allied war effort during World War II.

  • d) It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places

    as the former terminal building is a fine and relatively intact example of an aviation building in the Interwar Functionalist style which demonstrates the association of modernist design with new technologies of the period.

  • h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history

    for its association with notable personalities in Australian aviation history, including Lores Bonney and Charles Kingsford-Smith.

Place details
At 381 Beatty Road , ARCHERFIELD, 4108
Categories: Transport - Air
Event(s): Constructed in 1941
Period(s): World War II (1939-1945)
Style(s): Interwar - Functionalist
Fabric component(s): Walls - Masonry - Render
People involved: Architect - Department of the Interior Works Office


(Last updated - 14 Mar 2016)



Return to search results

Search again?



Print this page. Printer friendly
Contact us Contact us
Heritage Register menu
Search (basic)
Search (advanced)
Help with searching
Legal information
Terms and conditions
Legal disclaimer
Copyright Issues
NOTE: The purpose of this report is to provide a general reference source of information about the main historical and descriptive features that contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage place. It is based on available evidence and may be re-assessed if further information becomes available. It is NOT an official report and does not in any way replace the official Heritage Register entry, which can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner should undertake a thorough conservation study of the heritage place before any action is taken which may affect its significance as a heritage listed place. For further information please phone Council on 3403 8888.

Page created on: Fri Nov 16 03:14:03 AEST 2018