Heritage Register

Place Details

Residence 'Cleona'

Summary

This three-storey timber residence was constructed for painter Ernest Kunze and his wife Elizabeth circa 1902 as a rental investment property. By the early twentieth century, Highgate Hill, and particularly Dornoch Terrace, was emerging as a desirable area for the middle class and ‘Cleona’ would have proven a wise investment for the Kunzes. The property continued to be rented out and remained in the ownership of Elizabeth Kunze until her death in 1940 when it was transferred to members of her family.

Significance

  • a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history

    for the evidence it provides of the continuing middle class residential development that occurred along the ridge of Dornoch Terrace in the early twentieth century.

Place details
At 100 Dornoch Terrace , HIGHGATE HILL, 4101
Categories: Accommodation - Guest Residence
Event(s): Constructed circa 1902
Period(s): Federation (1893-1914)
Style(s): Federation - Vernacular
Fabric component(s): Walls - Timber
Roof - Corrugated iron
Images:
(Hold mouse over image to enlarge)
Residence 'Cleona'


(Last updated - 14 Mar 2016)



Return to search results

Search again?



Print this page. Printer friendly
Contact us Contact us
Heritage Register menu
Search (basic)
Search (advanced)
Help with searching
Legal information
Terms and conditions
Legal disclaimer
Copyright Issues
NOTE: The purpose of this report is to provide a general reference source of information about the main historical and descriptive features that contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage place. It is based on available evidence and may be re-assessed if further information becomes available. It is NOT an official report and does not in any way replace the official Heritage Register entry, which can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner should undertake a thorough conservation study of the heritage place before any action is taken which may affect its significance as a heritage listed place. For further information please phone Council on 3403 8888.

Page created on: Fri Oct 19 04:15:02 AEST 2018