This timber Federation era bungalow was constructed circa 1913 for Edwin Bulcock, a warehouseman, and his wife Sylvia during the later stages of Highgate Hill’s residential development. It is one of a group of intact, late nineteenth and early twentieth century houses along the ridge of Dornoch Terrace that reflect the development of the area’s distinctive character.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as evidence of the continuing middle class residential development that occurred along the ridge of Dornoch Terrace in the early twentieth century.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
it is important because of its aesthetic significance as a detailed and intact example of a Federation bungalow style timber dwelling.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403