‘Eversly’ is one of three identical two-storey Franklin Street houses built for investment purposes. The houses were built in 1888 for the Chief Clerk of the Queensland colonial civil service, the Honourable Hedley Strutt. They were rented to respectable middle-class tenants seeking accommodation in the then fashionable Highgate Hill. The first tenant of ‘Eversly’ was medical analyst Joseph Fletcher. No.21 Franklin Street was named ‘Eversly’ in 1895. It became a private residence in 1896 when it was bought by Mary Thompson. The Thompson family retained ownership until 1937, when Edith, the last of the spinster Thompson sisters, died.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as it reflects the residential boom of the 1880s and the perceived desirability of South Brisbane for middle class tenants in the late nineteenth century.
d) It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
as one of a group of three houses built in the 1880s as investment rental properties for middle class tenants.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
for its attractive design and aesthetic contribution to the streetscape especially when considered in conjunction with its identical neighbours at 11 and 17 Franklin Street.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403