The block of flats ‘Carmel Court’ was built in 1938. Despite the economic downturn caused by the Great Depression (1929-39), the South Brisbane area experienced a minor building boom where a few modern flats or apartments were constructed for a workforce that wanted to live in the inner-city suburbs. ‘Carmel Court’ was built as an investment property for successful Fortitude Valley tailor Morris Lieboff. Constructed in the popular Interwar Art-Deco style and close to tram lines, it offered a modern alternative to the often drab boarding houses, converted from nineteenth century residences, that were then the norm for Brisbane rental accommodation.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as a purpose-built late 1930s block of flats responding to a demand for greater density in the inner suburbs.
d) It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
for its intactness as a 1930s block of flats of the then modern design.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
as a good example of the Art Deco style, common in the Interwar period, as applied to a multi-residential building.
h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history
for its long association with the tailor firm and current owners the Leiboff family.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403