Highgate Hill Park was already a popular lookout and recreation spot prior to its purchase and designation as a park by the South Brisbane City Council in 1903. In the disastrous 1890 and 1893 floods, local residents used the site to view the effects of the floods and operate a flood relief centre. The park contains a band rotunda, constructed circa 1910, and four cast-iron ornamental bollards, possibly from the same era. The park remains substantially intact and has not been considerably altered since the early twentieth century.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as evidence of the acquisition and dedication of parkland by Municipal Councils for enjoyment by local communities in the early twentieth century.
g) It has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
as a dedicated community parkland for more than 100 years.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403