This house was built around 1882 for Mary Ann and Jonas Noble who established the J.A. Noble and Co. ironmongers business. An attractive villa on high ground, it was built on a subdivision of a larger estate from the 1860s. In the interwar period the property was purchased by Lewis McDonald. McDonald was an important figure in Queensland’s political history in the interwar period organizing a number of political and social welfare campaigns. In the postwar period, when housing was in short supply, the villa was divided into four flats.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as an early 1880s villa residence of a rising businessman in an important nineteenth century trade.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
as a nineteenth century residence in a lush garden setting.
h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history
as the home of Lewis McDonald, an important figure in Queensland’s interwar political history.
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403