This attractive, California Bungalow style building was originally built circa 1930 as a residence for Ethel Hoey. After her death in 1959, the property had a number of different owners before being purchased by the State Government in 1971 and being converted into a Maternal and Child Welfare Clinic. Similar clinics were first established in Brisbane in the interwar period, albeit many decades after Queensland’s high maternal and child mortality rates had first been brought to public attention. Apart from extensions to the rear of the building in the early 1990s and some internal alterations, the building is reasonably intact and survives as an example of the California Bungalow style of architecture in Indooroopilly.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
for the evidence it provides of Indooroopilly’s residential development during the interwar period.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
as a landmark on this prominent corner in Indooroopilly, and for its simple Californian Bungalow styling.
g) It has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
as a place that has provided dedicated health services to local women and children since the 1970s.
Maternal and Child Welfare Clinic
At 90 Coonan Street (cnr, Allwood St), INDOOROOPILLY, 4068
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403