The Nudgee Junior College at Indooroopilly was blessed and opened on 10 July 1938 by Archbishop Duhig. It was built to ease the boarding accommodation shortage at Nudgee College on the north of Brisbane. During World War II, the Junior College was taken over by the United States military and the US Army Station Hospital - the 153rd was established on the site in April 1942. Since the 1950s, the school has had various alterations and additions and in 1994, the boarding was relocated to Nudgee Senior College and Nudgee Junior became a day school.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
as an excellent example of an Interwar Functionalist building which features an assembly of simple geometric volumes, asymmetrical massing and distinctive modernist fenestration.
f) It is important in demonstrating a high degree of creative or technological achievement at a particular period
for its contribution to the development of twentieth century Brisbane architecture.
g) It has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
for its significance to the Nudgee Junior College community of students and staff since the 1930s.
h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history
for its association with notable Brisbane architectural firm, Donoghue and Fulton.
Junior College of St. Joseph’s Christian Brothers’ College
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403