The former Wesley Church was constructed in Linton St, Kangaroo Point, in 1903. It was the second church to be built on the site. The earlier 1866 timber church was moved from its original site in Stanley Street to the Linton Street property in 1887 and served as the church hall and Sunday School for many years. It was removed from the site circa 2001 and replaced by a new brick hall.
The 1903 brick church was designed by Henry Wallace Atkinson in the Federation Gothic style and displays a number of fine architectural features. It remained a Methodist church until 1977 when the amalgamation of the Methodist, Congregational and Presbyterian churches took place and it became a Uniting church. The timber parsonage located next to the church was built circa 1920.
a) It is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the City's or local area's history
as evidence of the continuing importance of the provision of Methodist religious services to the local community of Kangaroo Point and the surrounding suburbs in the early twentieth century.
d) It is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
as a good example of a brick Federation Gothic church.
e) It is important because of its aesthetic significance
for the church's fine design, elegant detailing and attractive use of contrasting materials.
g) It has a strong or special association with the life or work of a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons
for its significance to several generations of Methodists and later, members of the Uniting Church, in the Kangaroo Point area since 1903.
h) It has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in the City's or local area's history
for its association for more than 70 years with the Methodist Church.
Wesleyan Methodist Church
Kangaroo Point Uniting Church
At 40 and 48 Linton Street (Rear frontage is Princess Street.), KANGAROO POINT, 4169
Ritual - Worship
Accommodation - House
Constructed in 1903 - Brick Church
Constructed circa 1920parsonage built
NOTE: The purpose of this report is
to provide a general reference source of information
about the main historical and descriptive features that
contribute to the cultural significance of the heritage
place. It is based on available evidence and may be
re-assessed if further information becomes available.
It is NOT an official report and does not in any way
replace the official Heritage Register entry, which
can be viewed in the City Plan. A qualified practitioner
should undertake a thorough conservation study of the
heritage place before any action is taken which may
affect its significance as a heritage listed place.
For further information please phone Council on 3403