Manly State School opened in July 1910, providing an additional educational facility in the growing Wynnum-Manly area. The Manly community began campaigning for a local school in 1907, purchasing and clearing allotments of land on a hill overlooking the water. Despite protests from Wynnum South against another school in the area (the Wynnum school had opened in 1894), the Manly school was approved and a timber classroom building was constructed in 1909. On its opening there were just over 100 enrolled pupils, but the addition of another 200 students within the next few years forced the construction of a second classroom in 1914. Extra classrooms were built as Manly became more densely populated and the school’s enrolment increased. Manly School, which celebrated its centenary in 2010 with the opening of new and refurbished buildings, has continued to provide education for children in the Manly area since the 1910s.