These shops and attached dwellings were built during Annerley’s interwar boom period, as the suburb changed from a lightly-developed semi-rural district into a well-populated inner-city area. From the 1860s, the site had been part of an acreage belonging to a jam preserver, left unsubdivided until 1916. The frontage facing Ipswich Road held a shop and dwelling prior to this building's construction in 1930 by Hans Ebeling, a builder and property investor. Ebeling leased the shop and lived in the dwelling upstairs for some years, before selling the property in 1949. In the 1950s the house was converted into flats.