Constructed in 1889 for land agent John W. Todd, ‘Howrah’ is a large residence designed by eminent architect Alexander Brown Wilson. Extensive additions and alterations, designed by Hubert O.G. Thomas, were made to ‘Howrah’ in 1898 after it was sold to ironmonger George Bond. ‘Howrah’ was purchased by William and Adeline Quinn in 1912, who resided there until their deaths in 1923 and 1942 respectively. Subsequent owners renamed the house ‘Blue Waters’. This ornate timber house features a multi-faceted roof line, complex windows and twin barley-twisted chimney, and demonstrates the growing popularity of the Sandgate-Shorncliffe area as a residential district in the late nineteenth century.
Also known as
Howrah, Blue Waters
Local Heritage Place Since —
Date of Information —
Roof: Corrugated iron; Walls: Timber
Alexander Brown Wilson (Architect); Hubert George Thomas - additions (Architect)