Type of place
World War I 1914-1918
This three-storey brick warehouse was constructed circa 1917 for merchants Foggitt, Jones and Co. The company established themselves in 1905 as producers of ham, bacon and smallgoods, and quickly grew, eventually expanding into other states. By 1917, they required a new storage facility as part of their expansion and looked to this part of South Brisbane, which had developed into a predominantly industrial area, attractive for its river and railway access. The company continued to grow throughout the early twentieth century and during World War II provisioned Australian troops with general supplies. In 1957, the land was resumed by the Railways Commissioner who later leased the land to Pauls Ice Cream and Milk.
The company of Foggitt, Jones and Co. Ltd first formed in 1905. Foggitt and Jones were “Butter, cheese, ham, bacon, lard and general provision merchants”. The company had works at Oxley and originally had a warehouse in Adelaide Street that was later moved to Turbot Street. As the company expanded a new storage facility was required and in June 1916 Foggitt and Jones purchased this 25 perch property near the Brisbane river at the very end of Boundary Street, South Brisbane. The bulk store had been constructed by 1917.
By the mid 1910s, this riverside strip of South Brisbane had become a popular site for industry. The proximity to river transport and rail facilities attracted industry to this formerly residential area.
Foggitt, Jones and Co became Foggitt Jones Pty Ltd in 1928. The company continued to expand throughout the early to mid decades of the 1900s. The company was involved in supplying provisions to Australian troops during the Second World War.
In February 1957 almost 10 perches of this property was resumed by the Brisbane City Council and in August that year, the entire property was resumed for railway purposes by the Commissioner for Railways under The Railways Act of 1914-1935. The Railways then leased the property to Pauls Ice Cream and Milk, which has a factory adjacent to this facing Montague Road. Pauls was amalgamated into Queensland United Foods in 1960.
This is a brick warehouse building of three storeys, plus a basement level at the end facing the river. The roof is a simple hip with a wide overhang to three sides and a brick parapet to the fourth. The roof sheeting is a recent replacement in corrugated iron profile.
The timber framed, multi paned, double hung windows have a strong vertical proportion and are arranged in a regular horizontal and vertical grid. Window lintels are expressed as rendered bands. The face brick walls are laid in colonial bond of 3 courses of stretchers alternating with one course of headers.
A large door at ground level provides vertical access and a side door to the first floor apparently provided a link to an adjoining building or stairs, as evidenced by remnants of floor framing and roof flashing.
The building is in intact condition, including early sign writing to the river elevation.
Statement of significance
Relevant assessment criteria
This is a place of local heritage significance and meets one or more of the local heritage criteria under the Heritage planning scheme policy of the Brisbane City Plan 2014. It is significant because:
The place is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of the city's or local area’s history
for the evidence it provides of the change in use of this part of South Brisbane from a predominantly residential area to an industrial one in the early twentieth century.
The place demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of the city’s or local area’s cultural heritage
as one of the few, substantially intact remnants of the area's early twentieth century industrial development.
The place is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class or classes of cultural places
as a relatively intact, purpose-built, World War I era industrial building.
The place is important because of its aesthetic significance
as a well designed and well proportioned early twentieth century industrial building with the original company name still visible in large lettering on the side.
Citation prepared by — Brisbane City Council (page revised September 2020)